Some SEMPHN and Victorian PHN Alliance (VPHNA) events are recorded and made available as free on-line educational resources. Please note that these educational resources are correct, to the best of our knowledge, at the date and time of each recording.
Visit the VPHNA Education webpage for the full list of VPHNA webinars and to download presentation slides and associated evaluation surveys.
Appropriate Prescribing for Nursing Home Residents (38 min)
The Maximising Mental Health in Aged Care event brought together specialists from psychology and psychiatry to share evidence based approaches in response to the gaps in access to mental health care in the aged sector.
Associate Professor Stephen Macfarlane MBBS(Hons), MPM, FRANZCP, Cert Old Age Psychiatry, Head of Clinical Services, Dementia Centre, HammondCare presented on the rational use of pharmacotherapies for behaviour and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD). The focus is on tailoring prescribing to the displayed behaviour, exploring the evidence and traps around the use of antipsychotics and antidepressants, and minimizing side effects.
Cancer screening in general practice: The new national cervical screening program and new NHMRC clinical guidelines for colorectal cancer (90 mins)
Cancer Council Victoria, in partnership with SEMPHN, developed this webinar for health professionals on Renewal of the National Cervical Screening Program and new NHMRC Clinical Guidelines for bowel cancer.
The 90min webinar features presentations by Dr Stella Heley (Senior Liaison Physician, Victorian Cytology Service) and Professor James St. John (Honorary Senior Associate, Cancer Council Victoria). This webinar is accredited with the RACGP for 3 category 2 CPD points for the 2017-19 triennium.
Counselling Older Adults - Therapy based Approaches (37min)
The Maximising Mental Health in Aged Care event brought together specialists from psychology and psychiatry to share evidence based approaches in response to the real gap in access to mental health care in the aged sector.
Associate Professor Sunil Bhar, PhD, Master of Arts (Clinical Psychology), Chair of the Department of Psychological Sciences Swinburne University of Technology provides an overview of the context of ageing in Australia and the different therapies that improve emotional health and wellbeing for older people with depression (including for those with dementia).
Descriptions of Reminiscence therapies and the Swinburne wellbeing clinics are showcased.
Hepatitis C: Your role as a primary care nurse - Part 1: Transmission & Testing (19 mins)
Presented by Jacquie Richmond, RN, Hepatology CNC, Research Fellow at Latrobe University and Education Coordinator at Burnet Institute.
Jacquie discusses the common risk factors for hepatitis C and the process involved in hepatitis C testing.
Hepatitis C: Your role as a primary care nurse - Part 2: Treatment (23 mins)
Presented by Jacquie Richmond, RN, Hepatology CNC, Research Fellow at Latrobe University and Education Coordinator at Burnet Institute
Jacquie discusses the epidemiology of hepatitis and the new era of hepatitis C treatment with Direct Acting Antivirals (DAAs). Jacquie also discusses the Clinical Guidelines for treatment and clinical monitoring.
Infection Prevention and control (39 mins)
Developed by the VPHNA and presented by Eastern Melbourne PHN, this webinar will:
- Explain the principles of infection control and chain of infection
- Define standard and transmission-based precautions and their use in General Practice
- Recognise the importance of the use of personal protective equipment in prevention of transmission of infection
- Describe the role of hand hygiene, cleaning of the environment, sharps and spills management and staff immunisation in an infection prevention and control program.
Sterilisation for General Practice (28 mins)
Developed by the VPHNA and presented by Eastern Melbourne PHN, this webinar will::
- Define the principles of sterilisation
- Describe the sterilisation process undertaken in your practice
- Differentiate between standard and transmission based precautions and the applications in the sterilisation process
- Recognise the importance of validation and calibration of sterilisation procedures to ensure effectiveness of the sterilisation process
Triage for general practice staff (39 mins)
Developed by the VPHNA and presented by Eastern Melbourne PHN. By the end of this webinar, you will:
- Understand the importance of a safe and effective triage system
- Recognise the resources used for the triage process in the practice
- Recognise and consider high risk categories when triaging patients
- Understand the importance of communication and documentation in the triage process
Vaccine and cold chain management (23 mins)
Developed by the VPHNA and presented by Eastern Melbourne PHN, this webinar will provide information on how to: Apply the principles and recognise the importance of cold chain management
- Implement processes that are required for effective cold chain management
- Manage a cold chain breach/power failure and implement strategies and processes required to minimise the impact on stored vaccines
- Undertake processes requires in the event of a cold chain breach, including reporting and documentation
Events and Education See all
We acknowledge the Kulin Nation who are the traditional custodians of the land our catchment covers. We pay our respects to them, their culture and their Elders past, present and future, and uphold their relationship to this land.
While the Australian Government Department of Health has contributed to the funding of this website, the information on this website does not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Government and is not advice that is provided, or information that is endorsed, by the Australian Government. The Australian Government is not responsible in negligence or otherwise for any injury, loss or damage however arising from the use of or reliance on the information provided on this website.