Doctors in Secondary Schools
Doctors in Secondary Schools initiative
The Victorian Government is working with the Victorian Primary Health Networks (PHNs) to make sure young people are getting the health support, advice and treatment they need so they can reach their full potential. The Doctors in Secondary Schools initiative aims to provide school-based health services for 100 Victorian secondary schools most in need. The initiative provides modern clinical facilities onsite at schools and funds up to one session per week of a General Practitioner (GP) to provide both primary care for students and contribute to the school’s existing student wellbeing programs to help increase health literacy and preventive health.
There is also an accompanying role for a Nurse from the selected general practice to work with the GP, particularly in care coordination.
The objectives of the initiative are to:
- make primary health care more accessible to students and thereby help reduce unmet needs
- provide assistance to young people to identify and address any health problems early
- reduce the pressure on working parents and community-based GPs.
Secondary School sites
In Term 2 2017, the first local school to commence this service was:
- Rosebud Secondary College
Since term 3 2017 eleven schools have commenced:
The final stage of the roll out will be in Term 1 , 2018 with the following schools:
More information and forms:
- Department of Education and Training information can be found here.
- SEMPHN information on roles and responsibilities can be found here.
- Doctors in Secondary Schools Operational Guidelines can be found here.
- Doctors in Secondary Schools Services Agreement can be found here.
Events and Education See all
We acknowledge the Kulin Nation who are the traditional custodians of the land our catchment covers. We pay our respects to them, their culture and their Elders past, present and future, and uphold their relationship to this land.
While the Australian Government Department of Health has contributed to the funding of this website, the information on this website does not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Government and is not advice that is provided, or information that is endorsed, by the Australian Government. The Australian Government is not responsible in negligence or otherwise for any injury, loss or damage however arising from the use of or reliance on the information provided on this website.