Poor mental health can be short term or lifelong, and include mood, anxiety, personality, psychotic, and compulsive disorders. About three million Australians are living with depression or anxiety; and around eight people commit suicide daily in Australia.
Mental Health and SEMPHN
SEMPHN commissions primary mental health services to support people with mild mental illness and to develop innovative approaches for treating those with severe illness and complex needs.
In line with the Government’s response to the National Mental Health Commission’s review of programs and services, primary mental health throughout Australia is undergoing reform.
You can read more about the changes and transition here.
To stay up to date with mental health commissioning opportunities and news, register for the SEMaphore newsletter.
Mental health referrals and services
From 1 November 2017, all referrals for SEMPHN-funded mental health services need to be made through SEMPHN’s new Access and Referral. You can call Access & Referral on 1800 862 363.
SEMPHN has two new primary mental health services and a central mental health intake:
- Accessible Psychological Interventions (API) – flexible psychological services for people with mild-moderate mental illness, starting 1 November in some Local Government Areas. Replacing Access To Allied Psychological Services (ATAPS).
- Mental Health Integrated Complex Care (MHICC) – flexible support and clinical services for people with severe-complex mental illness, starting 1 December, 2017. Replacing Mental Health Nurse Incentive Program (MHNIP).
- SEMPHN Access & Referral – a central phone and fax line (including general practitioner priority line), that links people with primary mental health services, including referrals into the new API and MHICC services and the existing Partners in Recovery (PiR) service.
The new services are for people with health care cards or who can’t afford/access similar services and especially designed for people from hard-to-reach population groups.
beyondblue Connect is a free peer led mental health service designed to support people experiencing significant stress, anxiety, grief, sadness and related emotions. Peer mentors support individuals to develop the skills, confidence and knowledge to improve their wellbeing and community connections. Support and information is available in person, over the phone, and online. beyondblue Connect is a multilingual team that reflects the diversity of its community. beyondblue Connect is a SEMPHN funded pilot program.
Mental Health Compass
Mental Health Compass has an excellent Mental Health service and support finder. It was created for the Casey, Dandenong and Cardinia region but almost all the services listed are state-wide.
Alfred Health 24/7 Psychiatric triage: 1300 363 746
Monash Health 24/7 Psychiatric triage: 1300 369 012
Peninsula Health 24/7 mental health triage: 1300 792 977
headspace is the National Youth Mental Health Foundation providing early intervention mental health services to 12-25 year olds, along with assistance in promoting young peoples’ wellbeing. This covers mental health, physical health, work and study support and alcohol and other drug services.
Refer to Headspace services in the SEMPHN catchment
- headspace Dandenong
- headspace Narre Warren
- headspace Frankston
- headspace Bentleigh
- headspace Elsternwick
Partners in recovery
South Eastern Melbourne Partners in Recovery (SEMPIR) is a program that coordinates mental health support services in the South Eastern Melbourne region – Greater Dandenong, Casey and Cardinia - for people living with severe and persistent mental health conditions.
Help lines for patients
- Suicide Line 1300 651 251
- Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 576
- Lifeline (24-hour crisis counselling) 13 1114
NB - Other phone support lines across many mental health conditions are listed here.
Online mental health self-help for patients
- Mindhealthconnect - apps and online self-help programs guide
- Reachout – the toolbox - youth focused online tools guide
- Mental health online - online treatment programs for anxiety disorders
- beyondblue online community forums - support and discussion about anxiety, depression and suicide.
Information, resources and support
- Mindhealthconnect - Healthdirect’s mental health and wellbeing website.
- beyondblue - main focus on depression and anxiety
- Black Dog Institute - mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder.
- Sane - low and high prevalence mental health conditions
- Reachout - under 25s and family focused online support.
Events and Education See all
Tuesday, 20 November 2018
9:00 - 17:00
We acknowledge the Kulin Nation who are the traditional custodians of the land our catchment covers. We pay our respects to them, their culture and their Elders past, present and future, and uphold their relationship to this land.
While the Australian Government Department of Health has contributed to the funding of this website, the information on this website does not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Government and is not advice that is provided, or information that is endorsed, by the Australian Government. The Australian Government is not responsible in negligence or otherwise for any injury, loss or damage however arising from the use of or reliance on the information provided on this website.