COVID-19 Vaccine – Information for community
This page is intended to help community members in south eastern Melbourne find reliable information about the COVID-19 vaccine. The information on this page is from:
- The Victorian Department of Health
- The Australian Department of Health
- Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisations (ATAGI)
- Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA)
- The World Health Organisation (WHO)
If you would like to know more about COVID-19 generally, please visit our COVID-19 information for community page.
COVID-19 vaccines are free for everyone living in Australia. You do not need a prescription from a GP to get vaccinated.
If you don’t have a Medicare card or are not eligible for Medicare, you can still get a COVID-19 vaccine.
Why should I get vaccinated for COVID-19?
Vaccination is the most effective way to protect against infectious diseases.
Vaccines strengthen your immune system by training it to recognise and fight against specific viruses.
When you get vaccinated, you are protecting yourself and helping to protect the whole community.
When am I eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine?
Use the COVID-19 vaccine eligibility checker to find out when and where you can receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
If you are eligible, you will be able to view vaccination locations and book an appointment.
If you are not yet eligible, you will be able to register your interest so that you can be notified when you are able to book.
If you don’t have access to the internet, you can call the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398 (For an interpreter, press 0) and someone will help you. Keep in mind there may be long wait times.
I know I’m eligible and want to book my vaccination with a local GP. How do I book an appointment?
More than 320 general practices are administering the COVID-19 vaccine in south east Melbourne.
Click here to book a vaccine appointment at a clinic near you. If you’re new to that clinic, you may need to call them as well.
Can I book my vaccine with my own GP?
Not every doctor or general practice is administering the COVID-19 vaccine. You can click here to book a vaccine at participating general practices.
How do I know if COVID-19 vaccines are safe?
All vaccines are thoroughly tested for safety before they are approved for use in Australia. All vaccines are tested by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).
Watch this short video to learn more about how COVID-19 vaccines are approved.
How does the COVID-19 vaccine work?
The video below explains how vaccines, including the COVID-19 vaccines, work.
This video is also available in other languages.
I have more questions about the COVID-19 vaccine
- The Australian Department of Health has a regular video series in which they answer the community’s Top Three Questions. You may find some answers to your questions there.
- Additionally the Australian Department of Health also have a Frequently Asked Questions page, to answer questions from the community.
- You can also speak to your doctor about the COVID-19 vaccines. They can help inform you about vaccines and help you make a decision about receiving a COVID-19 vaccine.
- If you need information about COVID-19, COVID-19 vaccines or help with the COVIDSafe app, call 1800 020 080 (the National coronavirus and COVID-19 vaccine helpline). If you need assistance with booking a COVID-19 vaccine appointment, please note the call centre is unable to book appointments on your behalf.
South Eastern Melbourne PHN acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land our catchment covers, the Boon Wurrung and Wurundjeri people. We pay respect to them, their culture and their Elders past, present and future, and uphold their relationship to this land.
While the Australian Government Department of Health has contributed to the funding of this website, the information on this website does not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Government and is not advice that is provided, or information that is endorsed, by the Australian Government. The Australian Government is not responsible in negligence or otherwise for any injury, loss or damage however arising from the use of or reliance on the information provided on this website.