General Practice referral to aged care services
My Aged Care (MAC)
My Aged Care is the national contact centre for Commonwealth funded aged care services. Health professionals are required to use this portal for referral for assessment and services. Refinements to the site happen regularly.
Referral Flow chart for GPs
A quick overview of how to make a patient referral for aged care services
MAC webform referral
The MAC webform referral was released in mid-2016. Improvements include:
- successful transmission confirmation
- a unique identifier issued for follow up if required
- ability to save/print PDF
- completed referral is fast-tracked directly to assessment agency
Do not use the webform for urgent service access. Phone 1800 200 422 to request a ‘direct to service’ referral.
For those GPs continuing to use fax referrals to My Aged Care, SEMPHN have templates available for:
- Best Practice (RTF files, open in clinical software only)
- Medical Director (RTF files, open in clinical software only)
NB: When using fax no receipt of referral is issued.
Better Health Care Connections (BHCC) – Aged Care Multidisciplinary Care Coordination and Advisory Services
SEMPHN was one of nine sites across Australia selected to run the Commonwealth funded BHCC program. This program aimed to improve the quality of health care for aged care recipients by:
- increasing access to appropriate, coordinated, multidisciplinary care for older people with complex health needs
- improving access to primary health care
- improving access to referrals/supports to avoid preventable hospitalisations.
The BHCC program completed in June 2017. It had a particular focus on Residential Aged Care Facilities (RACFs) in the Peninsula Health catchment.
Key outcomes included
- Video consultation access for residents – view the report here
- Opportunities for GP and Nursing staff education, and community of practice
- Investigation, development and piloting of localised pathways and innovative care models
- Preventing Avoidable Hospital Presentations for Residents in Aged Care
- Allied Health Consultations in RACFs
Events and Education See all
Tuesday, 20 November 2018
9:00 - 17:00
We acknowledge the Kulin Nation who are the traditional custodians of the land our catchment covers. We pay our respects to them, their culture and their Elders past, present and future, and uphold their relationship to this land.
While the Australian Government Department of Health has contributed to the funding of this website, the information on this website does not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Government and is not advice that is provided, or information that is endorsed, by the Australian Government. The Australian Government is not responsible in negligence or otherwise for any injury, loss or damage however arising from the use of or reliance on the information provided on this website.