Doctors in Secondary Schools
Doctors in Secondary Schools initiative
The Victorian Government is working with the Victorian Primary Health Networks (PHNs) to make sure young people are getting the health support, advice and treatment they need so they can reach their full potential. The Doctors in Secondary Schools (DiSS) initiative provides school-based health services for 100 Victorian secondary schools. DiSS provides modern clinical facilities onsite at schools and one session per week of a General Practitioner (GP) and practice nurse who provide primary care for students. The program contributes to the school’s existing student wellbeing programs to help increase health literacy and preventive health.
The objectives of the initiative are to:
- make primary health care more accessible to students and thereby help reduce unmet needs
- provide assistance to young people to identify and address any health problems early
- reduce the pressure on working parents and community-based GPs.
Check out our short video about how the Doctors in Secondary School initiative is helping young people and our community.
Secondary School sites
Since 2017, the local DiSS schools that have rolled out are:
- Rosebud Secondary College
- Carrum Downs Secondary School
- Cranbourne Secondary School
- Dandenong High School
- Gleneagles Secondary College
- Keysborough Secondary College
- McClelland Secondary College
- Narre Warren South P-12 College
- Noble Park Secondary College
- Oakwood School – Noble Park Campus
- Pakenham Secondary College
- Patterson River Secondary College
- Cranbourne East Secondary College
- Fountain Gate Secondary College
- Hallam Senior Secondary College
- Lyndale Secondary College
- Mornington Secondary College
- Monterey Secondary College
Doctors in Secondary Schools Referral Pathways can be found here.
More information and forms:
- Department of Education and Training fact sheet here.
- Department of Educatoin and Training School Program Lead role and responsibilities here.
- SEMPHN information on roles and responsibilities can be found here.
- Doctors in Secondary Schools Operational Guidelines can be found here.
- Doctors in Secondary Schools Services Agreement can be found here.
South Eastern Melbourne PHN acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land our catchment covers, the Boon Wurrung and Wurundjeri people. We pay respect to them, their culture and their Elders past, present and future, and uphold their relationship to this land.
While the Australian Government Department of Health has contributed to the funding of this website, the information on this website does not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Government and is not advice that is provided, or information that is endorsed, by the Australian Government. The Australian Government is not responsible in negligence or otherwise for any injury, loss or damage however arising from the use of or reliance on the information provided on this website.